(This works as of May 2019 in Chrome v.74 and up)
1. Open the website you would like to create an app shortcut for in Chrome.
2. Click the three dots “…” beside your portrait in the top left corner of Chrome > More Tools > Create Shortcut
3. Go to chrome://apps and you should see the icon of the website you were creating a shortcut for. If you do not see it, click on the right side as it may be on the second page.
4. Right click the shortcut and select on “Open as Window”. *this is critical*
5. Right click the shortcut and click Create Shortcut and select Desktop.
6. Optional: go to your desktop and drag the new shortcut icon onto your task bar to pin it there.
7. Now, when you click the shortcut in your task bar or from the desktop, it will launch in a minimal windowed app container so you can use your chrome websites and apps like a native downloaded application.
8. Enjoy and be productive!